Thursday, April 15, 2010

My first and most amazing discovery in February of 2002 ABIGAIL (DANE) FAULKNER convicted Salem Witch was my 7-great grandmother.

Photo is of my 2-great grandfather GEORGE WASHINGTON RUSSELL

With the help of my distant cousin CINDY who discovered one of my very first posts to the Worcester County Rootsweb board about some of my 2-great grandfather's (GEORGE WASHINGTON RUSSELL) children. They were children he had with his first wife, SUSAN MARIA FAULKNER.

CINDY is a descendant of FRANCIS FAULKNER and ABIGAIL DANE through their daughter DOROTHY who married SAMUEL NOURSE, JR. CINDY had great CD's of Massachusetts Vital Records and with her help I was able to find my FAULKNER line, not through first wife SUSAN MARIA, but through her niece, CATHERINE EMILY SMITH who was G.W.R's second wife and my 2-great grandmother.

This discovery took my breath away when I realized the horror she must have endured as a convicted witch. (she was saved from hanging because she was pregnant with my 6-great grandfather, AMMI RUHAMAH FAULKNER)
ABIGAIL DANE and FRANCIS FAULKNER were wealthy farmers of Andover, MA., she was the daughter of Andover's minister, REV. FRANCIS DANE. It was quite a discovery to make so early on in my research. I was pretty shell shocked for weeks and almost couldn't believe it. I really did a ton of research on this family to be absolutely sure of the accuracy and in the process learned a lot about genealogy research.

ABIGAIL's page is on my website (also there is a lot about her on the Internet). Truly a book should be written about the Witch history of the family of REV. FRANCIS DANE. Many family members were caught up in this hysteria. This family is mentioned in many books but so far not one book has been devoted to them.

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jacquelinesr&id=I19506

2 comments:

  1. I'm also a descendant of Rev. Francis Dane, through his daughter Hannah who married William Goodhue. I'm also curious about your surname SLEEPER. I'm a descendant of Thomas Sleeper and Joanna Knight> Moses > Hepzibah m. Samuel Lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I found you on geneology.com. I am the granddaughter of Herbert Leroy Hirth and Ruth Ellen Largy. I am named after my grandmother: Ruth Ellen Hirth. :-) I was actually researching Herbert when I found that geneology.com had a descendency for him. Herbert had three children with my grandmother: Janice b. 1930, Bernard Paul Hirth (Uncle Bernie)b. 1933 and Thomas Jerome Hirth (my father) b. Feb. 5, 1935. BERNIE was married to DOROTHY (Aunt Dotty) DAMANCHE and they had four boys together: Andy (Maine), Bernie Jr. (Florida), Gary and Philip (both NH). I don't know who John or Daniel Hirth are but my research is telling me that in 1930, when Janice was born, Herbert was married to another woman named Dorcas. My grandmother eventually moved on and married a man named John Lawrence. The story that she told my father, Bernie and Janice was that Herbert dissappeared and after so long she had him declared dead so that she could remarry. It is conceivable that John and Daniel are my father's brothers by the same father, different mothers. Anyway, My father, Thomas Jerome Hirth has nine children: the oldest are adopted: Ivy, Marty and Keith. The rest of us: Mary Elizabeth Hirth b. January 25, 1972, Ruth Ellen Hirth b. February 19, 1977, Martha Ann Hirth b. August 6, 1978, Matthew Thomas Hirth b. January 4 (same b-day as Janice Hirth/Herbert's daughter), 1980, Margaret Mary Hirth, January 30, 1981 and Theresa Ann Hirth, May 31, 1985. Martha has two children: Samuel Joseph Renovato and Mary Catherine Renovato. Theresa has one daugther. My family moved to Florida in 1987. I have Bernie's phone number and I can get ahold of him. He lives in NH but I don't know his boys or his grandkids. My father worked in Boston from 1972 to 2000. Too bad I didn't do this research sooner. :-( I would be so grateful for any information you have on Herbert, Dorcas and their children. I''m glad I found you. My e-mail address: ruthehirth@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete